Formed in 1996 with 12 members, the Oak Valley Landcare
Group was awarded
an Environmental Excellence Award by Townsville City Council.
Tree Planting at Sach's Creek
The Oak Valley Landcare Group was formed in 1996 with a total of 12 resident
members with the aim to rehabilitate Sach's Creek at Oak Valley.
The group is committed to the Landcare
ethic and raising community awareness of the need for vegetation management.
The group has been awarded an Environmental
Excellence Award 1998 by Townsville City Council.
Aims of the Project
- To protect and enhance the remnant vegetation
- To reduce and control weed species
- To reduce fire hazards
- To increase habitat opportunities for native fauna
- ĚReduce erosion by stabilising creek banks with tree plantings
- To raise community awareness of the need for vegetation management
Sach's Creek first "Working Bee" commenced in August 1996 with the following
tasks been undertaken by the Oak Valley Landcare Group.
- Weed Management
- Eradication of Rubber Vine, Chinee Apple and Lantana
- Group efforts were initially concentrated on areas adjacent to
a creek crossing
- October 1997, efforts were concentrated at the Oak Valley Park
- Removal of woody weeds along the bank of Sach's Creek.
- Weed management is ongoing at the site
- Seed has been collected locally and propagation from this local
gene pool will form the basis of all plantings.
- Most of the plantings have been propagated by the group, with
others being provided by the Townsville City Council.
- Considerable numbers of locally propagated plants have been donated
to the Townsville City Council Nursery and TUPALG (Tropical Urban
Production and Landcare Group)
- Planted over 2000 locally occurring tree species to restore the riparian
vegetation. Planting and mulching commenced in November 1996. Some losses
from drought and flooding.
- Seedlings watered initially by bucket however the reticulation of
town water to Oak Valley will assist the Oak Valley Landcare Group with
water for the revegetation sites. Tap to be installed at Oak Valley
Park in 2004
See Waterboy in action
are clean healthy water!"
connection type below:
- Nature walks with Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP)
- Weedbuster Days every year for the past 7 years
- Information Day with weed control demonstration by Department of Natural
- Girl Guides (environmental badge)
- Planet Ark Day (1998) Oak Valley Landcare Group contributed 40 seedlings
towards planting at Stuart State School
Valley Catchment Tour
For more information contact:
Landcare 4721 4322
Townsville City Council 4727 9312